Thoughts. Ramblings. Heavy-hipped. Mango-obsessed.

What I've learnt today...

...that when I confront things, they're almost not as bad/challenging/scary as I think they're gonna be. This is something I should have known in over 3 decades of laying on Earth's belly, but it's never too late to learn, I say.

I'm working on my solo show - it's a good show, but I've been dreading the memorisation part, so much that I'd been putting it off for weeks. Yesterday, along with the busy time schedule I know I have ahead of me over the next 3 weeks or so, I knew I just had to take my finger out of my curvaceous behind and face the music. And, the thing is, the music didn't sound that bad.

So, I managed to memorise a piece yesterday - it's not 100% perfected but I'd say I'm 97% there - the other 3% is just going over it again and again, but it's in my head, and that's good.

And now I'm onto my 2nd piece & I'm getting into the groove of it and it's not half as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

I also learnt that I'm better at memorising paragraphs than I am at memorising lists (which is crazy 'cos lists should be easier), but go figure, that's how my brain apparantly seems to be working.


In the script for the solo, there's a 'character' that's suddenly made herself known in one of the pieces, she has an American accent, she's very condescending, talks real slow as if everyone's stupid - she doesn't seem to see she has her own flaws.

She's always sitting down - doesn't move around much - most of her expression is in her voice, the tone of it - and in her face.

She's kinda scary but funny. Though she doesn't like to be regarded as 'funny' 'cos she's hell bent on being a serious, law-abiding individual.

I can hear her accent in my head, her mannerisms, facial expressions, how she pauses between her words, everything - and I just hope I can do her justice and portray her as clearly as I see and hear her.

2 comments:

annette.sontan said...

True! It's never too late to learn. I am positive that you will deliver both a convincing, educational and entertaining piece. In addition to over
and beyond the rainbow of your dreams.

The beauty of pursuing our talents includes investing and seeing a
return in inner peace, inner love and inner vision. As within so
without. Also, we get to discover the hidden (soon to be revealed)
treasures of the soul. Open Sesame!

Your light is shinning beautifully bright.

Ebele said...

thank you for your supportive words, beloved. The solo show will definitely be an experience and then some.

Open Sesame indeed...

Thanks for passing through.

Black Light...

ebele